I am writing with an update on construction of the new 3.5m-wide shared use cycling and pedestrian path along the eastern side of London Road/Station Road and can confirm that phase A of works has now recommenced and the closure between A10 roundabout and Stearn Way is back in place. Through traffic will need to follow the signed diversion route attached.
We are pleased to advise works are ahead of schedule. Phase A will now reopen late on 13 January 2023, at which point Phase B, between Stearn Way and Windmill Hill, is set to start on 14 January 2023.
The project, which will make travelling around Buntingford safer and easier, will provide a shared path, new pedestrian and cyclist crossing points, and lower speed limits in the area. New bus stops will be introduced to help serve the upcoming new First School on the southern end of Buntingford. The improvements are funded by the Department for Transport’s Active Travel Fund.
Please continue to allow more time for your journey through the area and plan ahead to avoid disruption.
Works are being completed in phases to help keep disruption to a minimum and will continue to involve a 24/7 road closure in sections along London Road/Station Road, with no through route available for the entire construction period (scheduled until summer 2023).
The remaining phases consist of:
Phase Road Closure Points Dates*
Phase A A10 roundabout – Stearn Way Ongoing until 13 January 2023
Phase B Stearn Way – Windmill Hill 14 January to late January 2023
Phase C Windmill Hill – Owles Lane February to March 2023
Phase D Owles Lane – Plashes Drive March to April 2023
Phases E-J Plashes Drive – High Street April to late summer 2023
Further details on these phases will be available nearer to the time of construction at www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/activetravelfund
*dates are subject to weather and construction conditions
There will be a signed diversion route in place on the A10 Buntingford Bypass and Baldock Road during construction.
During Phase A (Ongoing until 13 January 2023):
• There will be no access for vehicles between the A10 roundabout and London Road/Station Road in either direction.
• The BP garage will remain open and accessible from the A10 roundabout.
• Access to Stearn Way will be maintained via London Road/Station Road through Buntingford and the signed diversion route. Temporary traffic lights will be in place to manage access.
During Phase B (14 January to late January 2023):
• The section of road between the Stearn Way and Windmill Hill junctions will be closed in both directions.
• Access to Stearn Way will be possible from the southern end of London Road via the A10 roundabout.
• Access to Windmill Hill and Olvega Drive will be maintained via London Road/Station Road through Buntingford and the signed diversion route. Temporary traffic lights will be in place to manage access.
During Phase C (February to March 2023):
• Phase B will re-open and the section of road between the Windmill Hill and Owles Lane junctions will be closed in both directions.
• Access to Stearn Way, Olvega Drive, and Windmill Hil will be possible from the southern end of London Road via the A10 roundabout.
• Construction workers will facilitate access to St Francis Close through the works area.
• Access to Owles Lane and Crouch Gardens will be maintained via London Road/Station Road through Buntingford and the signed diversion route. Temporary traffic lights will be in place to manage access.
During Phase D (March to April 2023):
• Phase C will re-open and the section of road between the Owles Lane and Plashes Drive junctions will be closed in both directions.
• Access to Stearn Way, Olvega Drive, Windmill Hill, St Francis Close, Crouch Gardens and Owles Lane will be possible from the southern end of London Road via the A10 roundabout.
• Resident access to Plashes Drive will be maintained via London Road/Station Road through Buntingford and the signed diversion route. Temporary traffic lights will be in place to manage access.
We will be in touch with more information on later phases nearer the time. Information on construction and diversion maps, is available online at www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/activetravelfund
The previous diversion routes have been reinstated and the HertsLynx demand responsive service will continue to serve London Road/Station Road.
Further information is available on the Intalink website: https://www.intalink.org.uk/road-closure-london-road-buntingford. Details will also be displayed on notices at all relevant bus stops.
Pedestrian and cycle access
Access will be maintained for pedestrians on the western footpath throughout the works.
Within the works area, pedestrians may have to wait to be escorted to/from properties by site workers. Cyclists will need to dismount and share the footway with care.
To complete the improvements as quickly as possible, we will be working seven days a week between 8am to 11pm. Noisier works will be completed before 8pm where possible. From Phase C onwards, works will take place between 8am and 8pm.
Temporary parking suspensions and waiting restrictions
To help keep traffic moving along the diversion route, the parking suspension along Baldock Road between Buntingford Post Office and Linden Court will remain in place. In addition, vehicles are prohibited from waiting at any time on both sides of Baldock Road (High Street to A10 roundabout) whilst works continue.
Alternative parking is available at Bowling Green Lane Car Park, where residents can park free of charge between the hours of 3pm and 9am. Residents will also be able to park in Bowling Green Lane Car Park for free for 1 ½ hours at other times.
To stay up to date on subsequent phases of work, please visit www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/activetravelfund . You can also sign up for email updates via www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/updateme .
We appreciate your patience while we complete these works.