Aspenden Village and civil parish is in East Hertfordshire and situated just to the south of Buntingford.
Aspenden has had many variants of its spelling over the years; documented Absesdene in the Domesday Book back in 1086 through Apsedene, Apseden(e), Aspeden(e), Aspedane, Aspyden and Aspynden up to 1698 which saw the first modern spelling of Aspenden. However spelt the name means Aspen-tree valley.
Little is known about the origin of the beautiful village green that sits at the entrance to the village. It was common knowledge it was common land and was used for grazing cattle. After a new law in the late 1960s common land was required to be registered. The Parish Council researched the origin of the green and after an enquiry at Shire Hall the two-acre site became the property of the Parish Council.
Cricket has always been played on the green since this time with some notable achievements and continues to be an Aspenden ‘institution’.
Both the Silver Jubilee celebrations of George V and Queen Mary in 1953 and for Queen Elizabeth II in 1977 took place on the Village Green.
The children’s slide, swings and roundabout were provided by funds from the village, County Council and the Playing Fields Association in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The equipment saw 30 years’ service before some of it needed replacing. The original roundabout still revolves superbly and is much treasured by many in the village.
The original cricket pavilion built in 1910 was replaced with a more substantial construction in the late 1960s with the addition of a verandah at a later stage.
Set in the centre of the village The Fox has been the only public house in Aspenden since the First World War. A traditional English pub with a large beer garden, open fire in the winter, quality cask ales, delicious home-cooked food and an annual beer festival. https://www.thefoxaspenden.com/