HCC is developing a scheme to upgrade the roundabout at the junction of the A10 and London Road to the south of Buntingford. This improvement is identified in the Council’s Local Transport Plan and East Herts District Council’s Local Plan. The Council is currently seeking funding to deliver the project so we are unable to commit to a delivery date, however, we are seeking views of local stakeholders to ensure that we have a project that is ready to deliver should the opportunity arise.
This roundabout currently experiences queues and delays during peak periods and this is forecast to worsen in future years due to growth in the wider area.
The proposed scheme (see attached plans) involves reconfiguring the existing oval shaped roundabout to a circular shaped roundabout with the following features to improve its capacity:
- A segregated left turn lane from the A10 (South) to the A10 (North West);
- Providing additional lanes at the entries to and exits from the roundabout;
- Providing a section of new shared cycle and walking path at the eastern arm of the roundabout to link to the football club and proposed school;
- Realigning the footway adjacent to the southbound carriageway, closing the layby south of the roundabout and amendments to private field accesses to the west of the A10 to accommodate the above changes.
- Signing an alternative route for cyclists parallel to the A10 between Buntingford and the Puckeridge area along lightly trafficked roads.
We believe this scheme will significantly benefit local residents and businesses and people who use the A10.
If you would like to know more about this project, please visit the project web page at www.Hertfordshire.gov.uk/A10Buntingford. The web page contains further information about public consultation, scope and project stages. There will be a further opportunity to comment on these proposals when we hold a statutory consultation on the permanent traffic regulation orders needed for the scheme.